Like most other women, I find it hard to put myself "first". Especially as a wife & mother with a husband & four kids who depend and count on me. What I need & want usually comes dead last. I'm not trying to be a martyr, it's just the way it is. I'm sure many of you will agree with me on this one!
Looking into the New Year there are a few things that i'd really love to do simply for *me* and my well-being.
- Yoga: Years ago when I was working at losing baby weight from Mya, I used to do Yoga all the time, and really liked it. But I let my "busy schedule" push it off of my my "to do" list. I'd love to get back to it once again daily. Even if only for 15 minutes a day... I find yoga so peaceful & relaxing.
- Regular Savings: In the last couple of months our savings have been sporadic at best. I've managed to keep our slush fund up but our TFSA has seen very little in the way of progress except for our montly interest bump. I need to redo our budget and find a way to make regular weekly deposits in January again.
- Reading: I love to read and usually have a stack of books around waiting to be read. I especially want to read a devotional & my Bible daily. But it's one of the first things I push aside when things get busy. I'd love to have a regular reading time daily for myself. Perhaps a mid afternoon for a "coffee break" or something would work? I prefer to read early in the morning but I find it sooo hard to drag myself out of bed some mornings so my iPod alarm gets ignored more often than not.
- Selfish-Sewing: My customs really took off over the past year and i'm very grateful for that! But I think it's necessary to get in some "selfish-sewing" time for myself as well as sewing for others. I'd like to do more projects for my own personal self-improvement. Even if I end up selling, or giving them away as gifts after the fact, sewing for myself allows me to try new techniques, use fabrics that I choose, expands my creativity, etc...
- Date-Nights: Hubby & I very rarely go out together... I mean very rarely. With him working midnights for the last 20 years, he sleeps during the day and is gone all night. I'm up all day, sleep at night. I rarely see him for more than a little chunk of time in the mornings when i'm usually doing stuff for the kids, making breakfasts, blogging, etc... then once a week when he's actually awake and off for a night. A strong, loving marriage is not easy and something that just "happens", you need to work at it in order to keep it strong. A "regular" date night would be nice. Even if it's just running errands together once a month, a movie, etc... just finding time to connect.
- *BONUS* goal: This will probably not happen, but i'd love to learn how to play the piano or learn another language. I'm sure that i'm being absolutely delusional on this one, but it's something that i've always wanted to do... dream big or go home right?
Do you have any self-improvement goals for the New Year?